Fleetwood Town’s Northern Ireland defender, Conor Gerard Mcclaughlin has extended his contract at the High Bury stadium.
The defender has penned a three year contract extension at the club after he looks certain to attract more interest from Championship clubs in the January transfer window.
Coach of the league one side, Uwe Rosler said: “We have a structure and I recommend that I would like to continue with the player. I can assure you that Conor has been offered a new contract.”
After featuring only once for his country at Euro 2016 in their first game against Poland, McLaughlin has regained his place in Michael O’neil’s team and scored his first international goal in the World Cup qualifier game against Azerbaijan last month. (more…)
The Fleetwood Town management was desperate for their experienced duo of Ball and McLaughlin to stay and had thrown extension offers to both of them, but, both have told the club that they are not interested to continue in League One anymore and are exploring opportunities to ply their trade somewhere else and thus are not going to accept the offers.
As per Rosler, the kind of form both the players have been in for Fleetwood in the past three seasons, they have earned the right to play at a higher level and showcase their potential against better oppositions. So, there’s no question of him feeling let down by their decisions to leave. (more…)
The 25 year old Northern Irish right-back of Fleetwood Town, Conor McLaughlin has been included in the English Football League One team of the season after helping his club in snatching the 3rd spot of the English League by making a string of successive impressive performances.
Northern Ireland is currently pitted in the 2nd spot of Group C of the qualifications group stages with 7 points secured from the 4 initial matches that have been played so far. Germany is at the top with 12 points and Azerbaijan also has 7 points.
The next qualification match of Northern Ireland is expected to be played on March 26 of the ongoing year as they face off with Norway at the Windsor Park. (more…)
Liverpool over came cross-town rivals Everton at the Goodison Park on Monday courtesy of a 92nd minute strike from Sadio Mane off an initial rebound from an earlier Daniel Sturridge drive.
The news leading to the match centered mainly on how important a positive result will be for The Toffees boss Ronald Koeman and on how Liverpool needed to prove what they are capable of without the sidelined Coutinho.
The first half of the game had everything the Merseyside derby was known for: speed, tension, daring tackles and much more. The fact that referee Mike Dean did not dish out a yellow card during the feisty first half is one of the biggest miracles of the season so far.
Intensity was the watchword for the first 45 minutes and Liverpool did lose on those grounds because the Everton players came out on top mainly from the disruptive approach they employed on the visitors. Both sides ran but Everton ran more, tackled harder and intercepted more passes as they made complete use of their physicality –something Wenger whined about the last time his side visited Goodison – to make sure meaningful strings of passes that often lead to progressive chance-creating rhythms were almost non-existent for Jurgen Klopp’s men
Summer signing Klavan was the main reason for all the hassles and tussles of the Toffees, scoring a goal – the main thing that counts – seemed farfetched as the Estonian nullified all variety of threats posed by Lukaku who served as the focal point of the home side’s attack.
The second half of the game came with a reversal of duties with Everton’s initial steam cooling off as a result of the stamina-reducing high press they operated with in the first half. That does not mean Liverpool took up the Toffees’ first half style though. For the Reds, a game-controlling gradual build up from the back with Klavan and Lovren triggering off strings of passes was the main reason they were able to take charge of the game. As a result, even when the host employed their hassling approach, the Reds made sure they reduced their opponents to chasing their shadows. (more…)
It amazed a lot of teammates how Connor McLaughlin, the full-back from Fleetwood, England League One, suddenly emerged from ‘nowhere’ to feature in nearly every match in the qualifier matches to Euro 2016 tournament.
The 25-year-old has hardly been left behind in the team since, missing just one game in qualifying which was due to suspension. McLaughlin prepared and was determined to play against some of the best attackers in the world as Northern Ireland met Germany, Poland and Ukraine in their first appearance at the European Championship finals on the back of 12 matches without a loss.
“It has been an amazing journey, a few years ago nobody would know who I was,” said McLaughlin at the squad’s training base at Saint-Georges-de-Reneins. “It has been brilliant to be a part of this team and making history nearly every week now. We have got an unbeaten run going and it is amazing to be present and participating here. Hopefully we can do well in the tournament.
Northern Ireland opened their World Cup qualification campaign with a 0-0 draw against the Czech Republic. Even though it was a stalemate, the team at least started the campaign without a loss.
At 25 years of age,McLaughlin is rightly poised to become the first choice right back for Ireland. The fact that manager O’Neill was pleased with the performance of the defender is likely to see him called up for the next round of qualification action, which will take place in October. Northern Ireland will be up against San Marino and Germany in the space of a few days. It will give O’Neill the possibility to testMcLaughlin against a minnow and the reigning world champions.McLaughlin, though, will be hoping that this praise from O’Neill results in more first-team opportunities. Despite being part of the Euro 2016 squad, the player made only one appearance at the major competition. (more…)
ConorMclaughlin might be leaving Fleetwood Town in the summer.
Stephen Pressley admitted that there is interest from Leeds United and that the club might be prepared to sell the player if they received the right amount of money. The manager said that ConorMclaughlin only have one year left on his contract, and that means that the player can leave on a free transfer next season. It is better for them that they sell now and recoup some money rather than wait and see the player leave for nothing.
Stephen Pressley said that the club would do everything they can to safeguard their interest, and that means that they will wait for the best situation before selling the player. (more…)
Steven Davis says the professionals are ambitious and it’s not hard to understand their willingness to work at upper levels if there are opportunities. Michael O’Neill’s situation should be seen from the same point of view.
It is understood that the clubs are starting to come to the Federation of Ireland to talk about the procedure for them to acquire O’Neill and according to Davis, the manager’s interest in leaving would only be normal.
Davis was quoted as saying, “The clubs would be coming for sure. If you ask us, yes of course, each and every one of us would want him not to leave, but, he would have his own aspirations and that’s fine.”
On remarks that the Green and White were too circumspect and were all defence in all 4 Euro matches they played, Davis said that the set up the manager forms depends on what he has got to play with. If he is armed with the attackers, the set up and the style would be different.
In Davis’ words, “You see whom were we up against at the group stage? The likes of Bale, Lewandowski, we didn’t let them have much of a say. Germany, with their quality, had the better of us, but, I believe the formation was absolutely right considering our strength.” (more…)
Northern Ireland Right Back Conor Mclaughlin has been given time off by his club’s manager Steven Pressley after his Euro 2016 international duty.
The Michael O’Neill led squad fought back from the initial defeat to qualify from the group but they could not go pass Wales, who sent them home in the Round of 16. Conor Mclaughlin was the first player to represent his club Fleetwood Town, at a major international tournament hoped to showcase his skills so he could possibly get better employers. However, it is believed that the club has not received any offer for the services of the player.
Mclaughlin returned for the pre season plans of the club but the manager asked him to take the extra time off and return on the 17th of July after resting well. The manager said: “After the season we have had and the Euros, it is important that he manages to switch off mentally and physically. It is most important on the mental side that he takes a break ahead of the new season.”
Fleetwood Town were able to secure a point against Southend United thanks to a late goal fromConor McLaughlin.
Only recently, manager Steven Pressley set a target of eight victories in the remainder of the campaign in order to avoid relegation from League One. The team had a sweet boost of confidence following the 2-0 win over Peterborough United in the previous game. This coupled with a point against Southend will only make Fleetwood confident that they can avoid relegation. The upcoming games for the club are against Oldham, Millwall, and Blackpool. A figure of 65 points will be enough to sustain their position in League One. This has been the magical figure to achieve safety in the division and Fleetwood are approaching the 50 point mark. (more…)